Monday, January 21, 2013

Easy Peasy Ruffle Scarf

Gasp!  It's a new blog post!  After a 4 month hiatus, I am back!!  When my life gets crazy busy, (or I'm just busy going crazy), my blogging will go to the wayside.  Just being honest.  It is what it is.  But, I'm happy to be able to post something new and I hope I won't be gone so long next time.  I did miss you all.

That being said, I found this how-to craft on Pinterest from one of my favorite blog sites, HOBBIES on a budget.  The scarf she made is so colorful and super cute, that I took notice.  (You'll have to check it out!)  I watched the video she posted and thought to myself, "Wow, I could do that!!"  

This is the color I'm doing next!
I just happened to be near a JoAnn's Fabric last night and ran in to see if they had any of the specific yarn for this craft.  To my wonderful surprise, not only did they have a whole display of them, JoAnn's had just started a 3 day 25% off sale for Teacher Appreciation!!  Woohoo! and thanks, JoAnn, for recognizing homeschool teachers as real teachers.  I chose two different bundles of yarn at $4.99 a piece, but I walked out of there for a total of  $6.81 (or somewhere around there.)  

See how thin and delicate it is?
 I used the Red Heart Sashay yarn and my scarf is the Ballet color pattern.  It took me about 2 1/2 hours, but it might not take you that long. This particular yarn is very thin and I kept missing loops when pulling the hook through and would have to start that particular part all over.  Not to mention the fact that it was 10:30pm before I was able to get started, so I was a little tired, but determined.  Now that I'm more familiar with the way the yarn is, I should be able to get the next one done even faster.  I'm also going to experiment with different sized crochet needles.  I used a 5.0 or 'H' size, this time.   I chose to do 10 holes at a time, instead of 8.  The video instructor said it would use up basically the whole package of yarn, but I did not find that to be the case.  My scarf is quite long and I still have plenty left over to make another one, or at least a small one for Sweet Pea, (almost 7yo now), who said she wanted one just like it.

My finished scarf!!  
This scarf is so easy to make, that it is a great project for beginners.  Just watch the video posted here, at HOBBIES on a budget and get started.  That's what I did.  I wore it to church tonight and got lots of complements and several "where did you get that?" questions.   
I loved telling them I just made it last night!  In fact, I'm taking my yarn with me next time so I can show them how easy it really is.  (The ladies that asked are much more talented than I am, so I'm excited to share something with them!)

What are you waiting for?  Go to the store and get started!!  When you're done, make sure you share pictures of your creation with me or tell me about it!  

God bless!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment